Saturday 24 September 2011

The Yakuza and my lease


Before signing-up to rent my apartment in Tokyo, I carefully read the terms of my lease, just like the diligent lawyer I try to be.  Everything seemed quite standard apart from the following warranty:1

The tenant hereby warrants that he/she is none of the following:
1.       a member of gangs or affiliated with gang groups.
2.       affiliated with or related to organizations which are related to indiscriminate mass murder.
3.       affiliated with the adult-entertainment business or using the property for the sex trade business.
4.       affiliated with receiving criminal proceeds.
5.       related to money collectors affiliated with antisocial or gang groups.

The first question I asked myself upon seeing this clause was how the drafting error in sub-clause (2) escaped unnoticed: apparently I am allowed to join an organization carrying out mass murder so long as that mass murder is discriminate!  The second question was why this clause was in the lease to begin with.  Well, there’s one simple answer: Yakuza.

I am sure most of you have heard of the Yakuza.  Even before arriving in Japan, I had heard of these gangsters, but really didn’t know much apart from the fact that they have tattoos and are generally regarded as undesirables.  Since being here, I’ve learnt a few things which I thought I would share with you.

First and foremost, the Yakuza are not called Yakuza in Japan.  Boryokudan is what they are dubbed by the authorities and most Japanese.  It literally means “violent gang.”  The Boryokudan prefer to call themselves Ninkyo Dantai which means “chivalrous gang.” 

The main sources of income for the Boryokudan are apparently protection rackets, strip clubs, illegal gambling, drugs and property management.  In relation to property management, non-descript companies are sometimes established to act as fronts for Boryokudan landlords.  I live in a region of Tokyo which apparently has quite a few Boryokudan.  What does that mean for a tenant such as myself? Nothing much but I still make sure I pay my rent on time!

Related to the Boryokudan are the Saikaya, who bribe public companies under threats of turning up to the company’s general meeting and causing a fiasco. 

It is a common warranty in many contracts (such as my lease) that the parties have no affiliation with the Boryokudan, Saikaya or activities that they are commonly involved in.

At most onsens (these are Japanese hot springs), you see signs banning people with tattoos.  This is to keep out Boryokudan who are famous for extensive tattoos.  It also keeps out Westerns who think that having a Superman tattoo on their shoulder is manly rather than just naff.  I find the latter more offensive.

Finally, apart from the tattoos, some say that you can pick a Boryokudan by the car they drive.  Apparently they like big, black Bentleys.  I don’t know if this true.  It sounds a little disparaging of Japanese Bentley drivers if you ask me!  That said, I’ve seen some shifty-looking characters driving around my area in such vehicles.  The cars always seem to be left-hand-drives too.  Strange.

There is probably a lot written about the Boryokudan, especially if the Mafia is anything to go on.  But until I join or become a victim, this is all I have to share!

Thank you for reading and take care.

Our Man in Japan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. There was no confidentiality provision in my lease so don’t worry: I’m not breaching any terms by sharing this with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment