Sunday 27 May 2012

The Final Post

Every day at 5.00 pm a chime rings out in my local ward of Tokyo.  It’s a peaceful 30-second motif played from speakers positioned on top of various tall buildings.  Each of the 23 wards of Tokyo has its own unique chime.  The chime marks the end of the day and can be heard clearly whether I’m in the office, in the park or at home.  Today, the 5.00 pm chime not only signifies the end of the day, but the end of my time in Japan.

After 1 year, 1 month and 20 days, my time is up.  

During this time, I think I have experienced more things than I have in the previous five years combined!  Stretching for 2,892 km from the snows of Hokkaido to the tropics of Okinawa, there is so much to enjoy in Japan.

Of all my memories of Japan, my fondest will certainly be of the people I have met here.  Everyone has been incredibly welcoming and kind, particularly at my workplace in Tokyo.  All of my colleagues have been utterly fantastic.  I honestly don't think I have thanked them enough for this.  I now feel inspired to adopt “Japanese levels” of kindness when I return to Australia! 

For the last time, thank you for reading and take care.


Our Man in Japan


Above:  A video of the chime in my local ward of Tokyo.  Shiroyama Plaza Garden, Kamiyacho, Tokyo.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Pete, thanks for keeping me entertained with your excellent posts about your time in Japan. Your certainly have made the most of your time there. I am bit surprised that you are leaving so soon. Where are you off to next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Andrew. I'm going to Clayton Utz Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete