Monday 7 May 2012

Park Life ... Tokyo!


Koishikawa Korakuen in Autumn
Tokyo is famous around the world for being busy.  Guide books are quick to point to Shibuya Crossing as (apparently) the busiest crossing on Earth; Shinjuku station as (apparently) the busiest station on Earth; Tsukiji fish market as (apparently) the busiest fish market on Earth; and depending on what criteria you use, Tokyo may be the largest city on Earth.1,2  Before I visited Tokyo for the first time in 2009, this array of trite facts had convinced me that I would be stepping into a world of unceasing chaos—something like Hong Kong but much worse!  Well, I was mistaken.  

In my opinion, Tokyo is a remarkably peaceful city.  In fact, I find it more peaceful than my hometown of Melbourne.  I don’t deny that Shibuya Crossing will be busy on a Saturday afternoon and that rush hour trains are packed, but that is only one facet of Tokyo, and a facet that every guide book encourages tourists to witness to maintain the myth that Tokyo is a swarming bee hive of salary men and OLs!

I think there are several reasons why Tokyo is so peaceful.  First, I think Japanese people are very discrete and courteous.  Secondly, many people don’t own cars, which is in stark contrast to Australia where every household owns multiple cars.  However, I think the main reason is the abundance of parks and “green spaces” throughout Tokyo. 

Koishikawa Korakuen in Summer.
Apparently there are over 6,000 parks and gardens in Tokyo covering over 1,000 hectares.4  I haven’t counted, but I can vouch that there are many! The Tokyo Metropolitan Park Association lists around 80 parks on its website but this doesn’t include the countless small shrines and green spaces.5 I wouldn’t be surprised if the total number ran into the thousands. No matter where I am in Tokyo, I am only a few subway stops (or may be only a few hundred metres walk) from a garden, shrine, park or some other urban oasis.  Further, these green spaces aren't bland patches of grass but thoughtfully created refuges that are designed to invoke a sense of peace.   

So, if you are planning a trip to Tokyo, please take time to visit some of the famous parks and gardens.  In my opinion, they’re more characteristic of Tokyo than dodging junior high school students on Shibuya Crossing!

Thank you for reading and take care.

Our Man in Japan

Roppongi Hills Garden

Koishikawa Korakuen

Koishikawa Korakuen


Inokashira Park in Kichijoji

Inokashira Park in Kichijoji

Inokashira Park in Kichijoji

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. I read these claims a lot.  I don’t know if they’re really true, but it’s certainly possible.
2. Please note that the fact that my blog uses footnotes does not mean it has intellectual pretensions!  They’re just so convenient.
3. OL is short for “office lady,” which is like a female equivalent of a salary man.  I think they’re both rather unflattering terms that understate the value of the work done by many employees.  Still, people seem to embrace them almost with pride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment